Friday, May 13, 2005

Cat Allergies?

By which I don't mean people being allergic to cats, but cats being allergic to other things. I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible for cats to have the sort of springtime "hay fever" pollen allergies that humans do.

Leela was having sneezing fits yesterday. And it's not the first time in the past few weeks that's happened. She'd be going along fine, and suddenly she'd sneeze, like four or five times or more in rapid succession. I counted nine once. I've been a little worried about whether she has a cold/upper respiratory infection as we had to take her to the vet and get her antibiotics several months ago, and I've read that these things can become pretty chronic in cats. But she doesn't have any other symptoms - eyes watering, etc. There's no mucusy discharge when she sneezes, it's clear and watery. I'd rather not go into how I know this. And she shows no signs whatsoever of being sick or in distress. She's her basic happy, energetic self.

And then today it seems to have stopped completely and she's fine. So I wonder if this is just springtime allergies. I don't really seem to have these myself so I'm not immersed in what they're like and how they operate. But the number of drug commercials on TV for Claritin and the like suggests that they're pretty widespread and bothersome. Do they apply to cats? I don't know.

The other possibility is that she just got into a dusty environment someplace and it was irritating her nose. God only knows what kind of little hidden dusty boltholes she's found around here that we aren't even aware of. But whatever it is, she's fine. Let me emphasize that.

3 Comments:

At May 13, 2005 at 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a matter of fact; yes, cats & dogs alike can & often have pollen related allergies. I don,t have them on our new site yet (I'll put them up right after this comment though)but we manufacture a powder that works for cats, dogs & humans.
It's called allergy relief powder (naturally)...It's mixed in their food, (a soft, canned food workes best). We also recommend our Pet Tonic for Colds & Mucus...this helps to alleiviate excess fluid from the system & is brewed like a tea then added to their food or water 1x a week. If your interested in trying free samples of both remedies or anything else you see on the sight; go to www.kendermanufacturing.com then go to the Kender Kennel Logo. Fill out the form on the Kender Kennel Home Page requesting free stuff etc. Let me know under the "business" part that your the bengal blog so I know who you are.
Hope to get some stuff out to you soon...
Aidana
Shuvani/Research/Development
Kender Manufacturing
www.kendermanufacturing.com

 
At May 15, 2005 at 8:50 AM, Blogger Blueyes said...

Yep my cat had allergies during pollen season and I would have to put her on a low dose Prednisone for a few weeks but eventually she out grew it.

 
At December 27, 2005 at 1:19 AM, Blogger moxbox said...

The other possibility is feline herpes virus. My cat had sneezing fits, and that ended up being the diagnosis. Web info suggests 80-90% of cats have this virus. And like the human version, the first attack is typically the worst, and it responds to l-lysine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home