Saturday, April 30, 2005

Cats Love Rounders

The template you're looking at right now - the color palette the rounded corners, the overall design of the page apart from the text poured into it - is called Rounders. It was designed by Douglas Bowman of San Francisco based design consultancy Stopdesign.com in February of 2004. It's one of the available templates on Blogger, and I chose it for Living with Bengals.

Granted, there are only so many templates available, and an awful lot of Blogger blogs using them. But I've been noticing that cat blogs seem particularly attracted to the Rounders template for some reason.

Obviously there's myself. Then there's Enrevanche, which I discovered when it hosted a recent installment of Carnival of the Cats.

Then there's New Cat City, previously referenced here, who uses Rounders 3, the same template with a different color palette. (There are four variations all together.)

And finally, The Cat Pack, another fine cat blog I was going to make reference to here before realizing I had a larger story on my hands. The Cat Pack is the product of a couple with five cats, cleverly named Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, Peter Lawford and Angie Dickinson. Anyone cool enough to name their cats after the rat pack is okay with me - go check them out.

But why so much Rounders? Is there something about the cat-favoring personality that's drawn to the gentle corners? Is it something subliminal about the word rounders?

I just don't know. Science marches on though, and I'm sure I'll come up with a working hypothesis eventually.

2 Comments:

At May 2, 2005 at 3:25 AM, Blogger The Cat Pack said...

Hey, thanks!

I never noticed that about the templates. I went through a few, and even tried (unsuccessfully) to make my own, before I finally threw my hands up and chose this one because it just looked clean and neat.

Great blog! I went through your archives today. Such a great cat :) We had briefly considered adopting a rescue Bengal in the beginning but were frightened off by the information on the web about their supposed digestive problems. I'm glad your Leela has not had any. She's beautiful!

 
At May 4, 2005 at 12:02 AM, Blogger John said...

Thank you! And thanks for the link - added you to the slowly growing list of cat blogs. (Growing slowly bc I don't want to add blogs on politics or what have you that occasionally do Friday cat blogging - I want them to be cats and nothing but.)

But yeah, we were pretty surprised to find out about the digestive thing. So far, no problem at all. The problem is sleeping through the night... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home