Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Intent to Deceive?

I was digging around earlier and came up with the show judging standard for Bengals used by The International Cat Association (TICA). Here it is - .pdf file.

This isn't particularly relevant to us because Leela is spayed and will never be a show cat. In fact that was one of the conditions of sale from the breeder. We didn't actually get her papers until we produced proof that she'd been neutered. But this blog is for people who are considering a Bengal, so I thought some readers might be interested in it.

Actually, I found it pretty interesting myself. My absolute favorite quote comes from the bottom of page two, among a list of mandatory disqualifications under ARTICLE SIXTEEN of the show rules. (Which apparently must always be capitalized so it may instill the proper dread in the reader.)

Among the things which are unacceptable in a show environment are "a cat showing evidence of intent to deceive."

Fluffy's so called 'cabinet of death' contains a false rear panel through which Fluffy escapes before the swords are thrust through the cabinet

Now what in the world do you suppose that means?

Okay, I looked it up. I mean it's my blog. It's my responsibility. More precisely, section 216.10 says the judge "shall disqualify any cat showing evidence of intent to deceive the judge by artificial means." What the hell? Is there a problem with cats doing magic tricks to confuse the judges? "On examination, we have discovered that Fluffy's so called 'cabinet of death' contains a false rear panel through which Fluffy escapes before the swords are thrust through the cabinet. Fluffy is hereby disqualified."

On closer examination, what they seem actually to be referring to is attempts by the owner to artificially modify the cat to make it better conform to the standards. For example, that rubber chest Ricardo Montalban wore in Wrath of Khan. The rules make specific reference to prosthetic testicles, which is kind of icky actually, and note that it's not limited to that. If we are to believe TICA, there seems to be a whole cat plastic surgery underground out there.

Okay, I'm drifting at this point, but I had to make mention of this. I mean find someone who has a Bengal or two around the house and try the phrase "intent to deceive" on them.

I mean, really, that's funny.

1 Comments:

At May 4, 2005 at 7:53 AM, Blogger The Cat Pack said...

"The rules make specific reference to prosthetic testicles..."

OK that's just too much. This whole idea of a plastic surgery underground for cat shows is just too bizarre for me. It boggles the mind. How does one actually choose, anyway? Is there a catalogue they browse? Or clandestine meetings in out-of-the-way roadside diners with shady cat plastic surgeons? I'm just trying to imagine a life vapid enough to actually fit a cat with prosthetic testicles.... "We just know Fluffy can win this year at TICA if he only gets the TomKat2000 model!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home