Tuesday, May 17, 2005

McBengal! - kawaii desu ne!!

Got a comment a couple posts ago from Cube, who noted a bit of synchronicity. He had just gotten a stuffed Bengal at McDonalds, and didn't realize they were any different from regular domestic cats. Then he stumbled on this site and learned otherwise.

Wait, back up a second. He got a stuffed Bengal at McDonalds? A quick exchange of e-mails and some Google searching later, and sure enough. A recent promotion from McDonalds - in the US anyway; if they did this here in Canada, they kept pretty quiet about it - gave away little stuffed animals with happy meals, eight different dog breeds and eight different cat breeds, including the Bengal.

It turns out to be a fairly weird alliance, a tie-in with a Japanese thing called The Dog and The Cat, which starts with pictures of cute kittens and puppies and then morphs them into these weird, super-deformed kittens and puppies with enormous anime eyes. (God, that is so Japanese. They'll be balancing pancakes on their heads next.)

How it ended up coming to America as stuffed toys in happy meals is beyond me, but here's the McDonalds take on the Bengal.



He looks sad, doesn't he? But it was goofy enough that I went ahead and bought one on eBay for four bucks. I'm such a schmuck.

Btw, I also tracked down the original Japanese source. I don't know. These just look really creepy to me. But there's a Bengal there too. Dog version here. Somehow it seems to work better. I guess because there's more variation in head shapes among dog breeds and the head's less spherical to begin with.

3 Comments:

At May 18, 2005 at 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww ... cute!
Let me know if you can get a hold of the McDonalds version of the Bernese Mountain Dog!

 
At May 18, 2005 at 12:08 PM, Blogger John said...

Hi Nancy, actually a quick check of eBay reveals a whole bunch of them - far more than the number of Bengals I had to choose from, and cheaper too.

eBay search listing

Good hunting!

John

 
At January 28, 2006 at 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple years ago, I got a "The Dog" spiral binder... in a Walgreens no less. So the brand (or whatever you'd call it) has been peeking through to the US for some time. I'll have to dig it up now, as I don't remember it behind super-deformed (or even slightly deformed) at all.

..KARL...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home