Monday, April 11, 2005

Cat Toy Review

Okay, I admit this is going to be kind of a shabby installment of Cat Toy Review, because I can't tell you what this toy is called or who makes it. We've had it a while and I've been meaning to talk about it, but I've gone and lost the cardboard thing that identified it.

But at any rate, what we're talking about here is your basic dangly "bat at me" cat toy, made of pretty much the same wire as a cat dancer, with a lure at the end for the cat to go after. In this case, that's a pretty crude dragonfly made of rolled up paper and some kind of iridescent plastic stuff for the wings. As you can see, Leela kind of likes it. (Check out that expression - not to mention that paw...)



She invaded my ad hoc photo shoot, so I let her be in the picture. A couple shots later it struck me that the pictures are probably a lot more appealing that way. Yes, I am a genius.

But anyway, the part that forces me to review this thing is actually at the other end. (Leela tried attacking this end too, but if I let her do that, you couldn't see the high-tech details.)



Here comes the science, folks. The packaging (yes, the packaging I've since lost, and I feel foolish enough, thank you) proclaims that this clever detail makes this not just an ordinary cat toy, but a cutting edge, interactive cat entertainment technology. The idea is that, by squeezing it, you can make the dragonfly at the other end do amazing things that you could never do otherwise, things that violate the very laws of nature. Things your cat will be quite unable to resist.

In a word, no. Squeezing the grip accomplishes nothing, except to make you feel silly. And as I already feel silly, I won't need to do that. But at the end of the day, the cat likes playing with it, and isn't that what really matters?

5 Comments:

At April 12, 2005 at 7:14 AM, Blogger Bird On A Line said...

I have a cat dancer, which Cambridge goes nuts over. I wish I had invented the thing myself because I would be rich by now. That "high tech" grip thing seems to make sense - it should make the dragon fly tweak out and fly more, no?

 
At April 13, 2005 at 9:34 AM, Blogger Biognome said...

Is this it? http://www.sturdiproducts.com/new/Accessories/DragonFlyCatToy.asp
I'll bet my 19 pound cat, Vader, would love this! Of course, he's nine now, so he may just lay there and watch!

 
At April 13, 2005 at 5:14 PM, Blogger John said...

Oh, I _wish_ it was that one! That one actually looks nice. Not that the one we have doesn't get the job done, but it's really pretty cheap.

I guess there's a lesson there. Any cat toy that costs more than a balled up sheet of notebook paper is aimed more at us than at the cats.

 
At April 14, 2005 at 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cat look's just like that in a way, if you visit my page and look on the right hand side section, mine is waving, lol... Okay, I bought a cat toy that hangs from the door on a stretch string, on the end is a mouse, furry and playful, but very sensitive, when bumped or moved, it squeaks (sound) and my cat actually loves the heck out of this one. I tried many, the catnips, and the one's that are sparkle and mousey's just lay on the floor, played at one or two days when I first got them, only for me to actually toss them when they just look like they are useful to my cat anymore. Cat nip toy's seem to only last a few week's, before the smell it seems to not attack my cat.

 
At April 10, 2006 at 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you show is a knock-off off the original DRAGONFLY CAT TOY.
YOU CAN FIND THE FIRST-RATE ONES ON EBAY....LOOK FOR THE DRAGONFLY CAT TOY IN THE HOME AND GARDEN SECTION .
These things are amazing! they seem to last forever!A real bargain in a cat-toy market where they fall apart right out of the package!
The dragonfly cat toy is a must! check it out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home