Friday, March 25, 2005

Advances in Feline Science

I was awakened - at about 6:00 in the morning - a couple days ago by strange noises that turned into something vaguely musical, and discovered that Leela's cutting edge scientific mind had stumbled onto something new.

I use a CD player alarm clock (Sony makes several nice ones, if you're interested) so I can wake up to the music of my choice. I've long since not learned to trust radio stations in the morning. So what happened apparently was that Leela was milling around in the pre-dawn darkness and, in the absence of the lamp on Elisa's nightstand, decided to walk around on top of the clock radio. Unlike the current ones in that Sony link, our older one has a big smooth top with all the buttons on it. And she managed to step on the play button.

This wouldn't have been so bad except that the thing is programmed to wake me up with track 3 of the disc that's in there - decidedly not track 1. Track 1 is really quite a different story. Worse, not only did I have to figure out what was going on and slap it off, I then had to reset it so it would still go off when it was supposed to. By the time you do that, you're pretty much awake.

So okay, that happened. But then this morning I awakened to find her walking around on top of it again, as if to try and replicate the results of her earlier experiment. This is deeply disturbing. It's like she knows she got a good result. She's not sure just how she achieved it, but she knows it involved walking on the black plastic box. And so she's trying to see which variables combine to get what she wants.

We may have to upgrade the clock radio...

3 Comments:

At March 29, 2005 at 2:33 AM, Blogger Rene said...

Hmmpffgg, LOL -- sounds familiar.

My Rasheed sometimes pulls the knob of my alarmclock, so I'm forced to get up really early the next morning, only to push that darn button back in the off position!

 
At March 29, 2005 at 10:58 PM, Blogger John said...

The alternative, of course, is that she manages to push the off button and then it never goes off. My best guess is that that's what happened this morning. Maybe we should just teach them to read, and give them the manual, huh? :-)

 
At April 13, 2005 at 1:42 PM, Blogger Mira said...

I kinda have the opposite problem. My kitty Noah doesn't like to get up in the morning. When I wake up in the morning he'll sometimes gently pat my face with his paw and purr. "Everything's fine, Momma. You made the noisy box be quiet. Go back to sleeeeep..." Hard to wake up sometimes with him doing that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home